Queso: “Every Other State’s Jello Salad”
Alright, alright… before you jump down my throat, I know “Queso Blanco” doesn’t really mean “Yes, please” in Spanish.
That said, when asked as a question, “Queso blanco?” The following response is always, “yes, please!”
See, so I only kind of lead you astray.
Here in good ol’ Texas… queso is serious business. I once heard someone call it, “every other state’s jello salad”, explaining that you can’t go to any family gathering in Texas without someone bringing the queso. Although I’m not a true Texan (but am most definitely a huge queso fan), I often volunteer to be that someone.
I’ve been asked for my recipe quite a few times. Now, I’m not going to tell you it’s the world’s best cup of queso…
But I like it. And for that simple reason, I’m happy to share the recipe and hoping you’ll like it too.
El Queso Blanco de TealTheThings
- 12 oz Fresh Pico de Gallo (yes, you can make your own… but why, when H-E-B’s is fantastic?)
- 32 oz Easy Melt: Queso Blanco (again, H-E-B, but the white Velveeta Queso Blanco will do the trick as well)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp Torchy’s Diablo Sauce (they actually ship this stuff… so no excuse for you not to try it)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 garlic clove
- First, cut the block of easy melt into 1-inch cubes, to quicken the cooking process
- In a large crockpot, toss the cubes of easy melt and add in the rest of the ingredients (give it all a good stir)
- Set the crockpot to “High” and cover for 45 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Reduce the cook setting to “Low” for another 15 minutes
- Set the crockpot to “Warm” and serve
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and a dash of Torchy’s sauce (optional)
Note: If the queso is a bit too runny, give it just a few more minutes in the “Warm” setting. It will thicken up. On the flip-side, if it’s too thick… add a bit more milk!
Cheese! I mean, cheers!